Friday, August 16, 2013

All A-Buzz about the Bumble Bee Top...

Hey lovely readers - I have to say that one of my favorite things about blogging is meeting other women who share my passion for sewing, the insanity of sewing with children, and the desire to make sure those insane children are clothed!  Most of the blogging community is a very supportive and uplifting place and I am so thankful to have begun numerous friendships through this venue.
One of those friends is Raeanna of Sewing Mama Raeanna - I got to test her very first pattern, the Sweet & Simple bloomers, I was hooked and left waiting for more.  I didn't have to wait long, I was ecstatic when I heard that she was coming out with a new pattern. (*She also has the Scrubby Jams available too!


Her newest release is the Bumblebee dress and I am in love, so lets break it down:


  • This dress includes two variations (one with vertical ruffles on the bodice and one with ruffles along the neck and back closure.)  You have the option for sleeveless or 3/4 length sleeves.  There is also an adorable ruffle for the bottom of the skirt included with view B - but it could easily be added to view A as well.
    View A(Left) and View B (Right)
  • The Back closes with a button or snap (but I did a bow... be on the lookout for a tutorial soon!)
  • This dress is adorable on its own or can be paired with leggings or pants for the perfect fall look.
  • Sizes 3m-6T
  • Pieces are nested together
  • Pattern pieces print on 6pages and are easy to tape together
  • Measurements for all rectangular pieces are given in a chart
  • Instructions are clear and accompanied my photographs to walk you through step by step
  • The pattern also includes a measurement chart to determine sizing and yardage requirements
I made the classic view A in all one color - it is so fun to see all the different versions made out of coordinating  and contrasting fabrics to create truly unique looks each time!  This is the 2T and I think the fit is spot on - my daughter is between sizes at the moment, so I am making all 2T's at the moment to make sure what I make fits through the fall and winter ahead.  The dress fits now and has enough growing room that I can hopefully get all the way through winter, fingers crossed!!!

I love the length on baby girl - it hits right at the knee meaning she doesn't catch it when climbing stairs or crawling.   You can add length to the pattern pieces or you can gain extra length by adding the included ruffle.

I can't wait to make more of these.  I can envision it in many types of fabric, with lace trim
 or piping, and even cut short to be more of a tunic top.



Have you sewn up a Bumblebee Dress???  Link it up  over at Pattern Revolution so we can all share in the cuteness!!!

1 comment:

  1. Suzanne, you have been such a wonderful friend!!! Thank you for sharing your time and talents!!! Your daughter is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete